Pair of D. B. Crockart guns
12 bore, bar-action sidelock ejector, side-by-side shotguns
The name of Crockart and gunmaking in Perthshire has been around since 1817 when James Crockart was born, the son of William Crockart of Findo Gask, a small village just outside Perth in Scotland. In 1852, James opened a gunshop on Leslie Street, near the Wellmeadow in Blairgowrie and where the firm of James Crockart and Son was born. James made sporting and target rifles, shotguns, fishing tackle and loaded cartridges and was himself a very keen game shot and won countless trophies on the shooting range out to 1000yds. This venture proved successful and soon led to expansion with the business moving to larger premises on the east side of Allan street. From there the business grew and again moved to a larger shop with a purpose built workshop at 26 Allan street. However, due to a shooting accident James gave up the sport and his leisure time was then devoted solely to fishing.
James Crockart had six sons, two of whom, Robert and William took over the business in Blairgowrie on the death of their father in 1896. The brothers each had three sons, but it was William’s sons who stayed with the business, which was family owned right up until 1945, being run by William’s grandson, when it was sold to Harry Michie, a gunsmith and an international small bore rifle champion. In 1968, Robert Jamieson took over the business from Harry Michie, and a larger premises at 28 Allan street was purchased including a gunroom and workshop which is still in operation today.
Another of old James Crockart’s sons, David C. Crockart, went into the gunmaking business. However, he did not join his brothers, Robert and William in Blairgowrie, instead David went to America but after 10 years returned to Scotland where he joined a Mr. Michie in Stirling in 1877, the business known as Malloch, Michie & Crockart.
In 1890, David dissolved the partnership with Mr. Michie and set up his own business at 44 George Street, Perth taking over the gunmaking business of Edward Paton, but this lasted only four years, the business being bought out by James MacNaughton & Sons, gunmakers, who occupied this address as a branch outlet of their Edinburgh business until 1909. David returned to Stirling where he acquired the business he had formerly been connected to, from Mr. Michie, it then being know as D. Crockart & Sons, King Street, Stirling. Like his father, David was a keen rifle shot, a member of the Stirling Rifle Volunteers, a game shot and of course, a keen angler. David C. Crockart died in 1922, but the Stirling shop continued business under the guidance of his son, Frank Bisset Crockart. Guns were made in the Stirling shop by Mr. Dyson.
David’s other son, David Bisset Crockart (1879 - 1960) established his gun making business at 33 County Place, Perth in 1907. He took a practical interest in shooting, particularly rifle shooting, being treasurer and secretary of the Perth City & County Rifle Club for 35 years. The business moved twice during a period of seventy years right up to 1976, when the business closed.
- Gauge: 12
- Barrel Length: 28in
- Chambers: 2 1/2in
- Proof: London Nitro Proof
- Chokes: IMP CYL (R) & 1/4 (L)
- Stock Length: 15 5/8in to centre
- Weight: 6lb 8oz